BRENDAN KIEFER, Fire Chief
SHANNON WHITNEY, 1st Assistant Chief
DANIEL ZELLER, 2nd Assistant Chief
RICHARD MAISANO, Senior Firefighter
16 Nash Road
Kenmore, New York 14217
Phone: (716) 875-3274
The Kenmore Fire Department is charged with protecting the lives and property of Kenmore residents and businesses. The Fire Department is comprised of both paid firefighters and volunteers. In addition to serving the Village of Kenmore, the Department also protects 3 districts located in the Town of Tonawanda. There are currently 60 active volunteer members.
In addition to serving the public through fire fighting and first aid, the Kenmore Fire Department also sponsors and/or participates in many community service activities. For example, the Department hosts a Halloween Party for area children, provides holiday gift baskets and food for the needy, and donates countless hours to help with Kenmore Days, the Holiday Sing Along and Santa’s Arrival. The Department also provides trucks for Village Block Parties upon request.
For more information about the Kenmore Volunteer Fire Department, click here
The Kenmore Fire Department was established in 1903. The original Fire Hall shared space with the Village offices at 2831 Delaware Avenue, near Warren Avenue. The building was purchased for $2,285 by Jacob B. Rickert. The first chief was Frank C. Stillwell.
The Fire Department moved to its current location on Nash Road in 1929. This building originally housed both the fire and police departments. The Kenmore Police Department moved to its current location on Elmwood Avenue in 1951.
A bell, located in the belfry of the Methodist Church served as the original fire alarm for the Village. In 1904 the Village Board authorized the purchase of its own bell, which sounded alarms until 1917. This bell is now located at 16 Nash Road as a historic reminder of the Fire Department’s history. Later an electric alarm system was installed which consisted of twelve boxes located in various sections of the Village. This system enabled all alarms to sound when any one alarm was activated. An air blast alarm system was initiated in 1934 and was utilized until 1981. Kenmore was the first Tonawanda fire department to utilize home receivers.
The first equipment consisted of a hand-drawn hose cart and tools. Most members would run to the fire hall to get their equipment and would then run to the fire. The first piece of motorized equipment was purchased in 1918. All equipment was hand drawn until 1919.
There have been two firefighters who have lost their lives in the line of duty to the Kenmore Fire Department. These men will always be remembered for their service and dedication to this community.
Past Chief Chester A. Long – April 9, 1959
Firefighter Timothy M. Goff – May 24, 1997
Who's OnlineWe have 9 guests online
Village of Kenmore, NY
|Weather data provided by the National Weather Service|